Possible thermostat problem

· 3 · 674

Dunc

• Name: Duncan Thomson
Possible thermostat problem
« on: November 24, 2013, 05:50:20 PM »
 ???  HI
          I have a 2001 P38 2.5 diesel , recently I got the crankshaft pulley replaced and all the belts changed , this involved the radiator taken 
            out and then fitted back in and bled then filled with coolant . Since then I have driven over 200 miles and the temp gauge and the 
            the heater have worked fine , however today it is blowing cold and the gauge climbs then drops back off . I have checked the coolant
            coolant level is fine , top and bottom hoses are both hot but it is still blowing cold . Could this be anything to do with the radiator or
            is there an electrical problem ie : a fuse or am I missing something else ???   Thanks for any info you can throw my way .

Cheers     Duncan
If a hammer won't fix it, get a bigger hammer !!

ZebraDriver

Re: Possible thermostat problem
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 08:10:56 PM »
Unlikely to be electrical, more chance that its an air lock in the heater plumbing.  Is it possible to bleed the system at the heater?  Worst case is that it could be the first symptom of a failed head gasket or cracked head/block.....

lurch032003

Re: Possible thermostat problem
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2013, 09:14:26 PM »
Sounds like you thermostate is stuck , take it out pop it into boiling water see if it opens and shuts bt watching and taking bit out , if it is opening and shutting the it could be a air block in system and needs bleed again to work but I bet a fiver its the thermostat